Search the forums
I'm remodeling my typical 1979 single-story subdivision southern California home.
I have the walls open and am doing a lot of work on the wiring. Actually, I'm also undoing a lot of the insanely dangerous work the original owner did on the wiring. I'm carefully inspecting all of the wiring for damage/modfications.
The wiring in the home is romex-style copper and almost 30 years old. Other than the sheathing yellowing and being dirty (some of the sheathing is black, so there's no yellowing), the sheathing, and the insulation on the indvidual wires, appear fine.
I notice that the new Romex wiring I'm using, while the same gauges, is much smaller in it's outer dimensions (including the sheathing; not the conductors themselves). I'm sure the sheathing and insulation used is the difference, and I'm sure it's light years ahead in terms of quality.
My questions are:
Since I'm having to redo so much of the wiring, does it make sense to go to the additional trouble and expense of replacing all of the original wiring? Or, given that that the sheathing and insulation is fine, would that just be wasteful?
I mean, the wiring is almost 30 yrs. old, and I plan to keep the house for at least another 40. Is the original wiring going to somehow wear out or become unsafe in that time?
Replacing all of the wiring would involve the extra expense of the wiring and pulling romex through the attic in a garage with a drywalled ceiling. Not a terrible amount of trouble, but it will take some time.