Subscribe or Renew Membership Subscribe Renew

Connect interior wall to rake wall

sjnick's picture

I'll be framing a small cottage soon. It has rake walls that will be balloon-framed. One interior wall will butt into the rake wall. I'm not quite sure how to join that interior wall to the rake wall. Here's a sketchup drawing of my idea:

As you can see in the photo, the top of the interior wall laps over the rake wall. The interior wall is framed for ceiling joists for the bathroom while the rest of the house will have an open, cathedral ceiling.

Do you think this building method is sound? Is there a better way?

sj (post #207387, reply #1 of 3)

Run that stud at the rake wall continuous-all the way up.  The joist at that side is just a nailer for the drywall.


Add a flat block between the studs up at or near the lower top plate. to make that connection easy to plumb and to make it sound.

At the end of each wall, add a lath catcher or use some other method to secure your drywall at the corners.

A Great Place for Information, Comraderie, and a Sucker Punch.

Remodeling Contractor just outside the Glass City.


Rake wall to interior wall connection (post #207387, reply #2 of 3)

Frame the rake wall as shown except run the double top plate continuously.  You don't need to lap the interior wall's top plate onto the rake wall.  Instead, where the interior wall will intersect the rake wall, install a partition backer (PB) in the rake wall.  This is either a 2"x6" "L" or a channel made from a 2"x4" on the flat sandwiched between a 2"x6" on either side.  This allows for a good connection point and provides nailing for sheetrock on both sides of the interior wall.  Next, frame the roof.  The interior wall will have a top plate that is attached to the bottom of the rafters.  The studs in the interior wall should line up directly under your rafters (assuming 16" on center for both).  Now when you frame your flat ceiling in the bathroom you simply nail your ceiling joists to the face of the rafter at both ends.  If you like the idea of a mechanical connection at the top of the intersecting walls use a flat metal plate.  Simpson makes hardware for this purpose.  Hope that helps.  

Others have nicely answered your question, but .... (post #207387, reply #3 of 3)

but I would say, really nice sketch-up drawing!  Is that very hard to do?  I downloaded a copy of sketch-up and looked at it for a few minutes and it seemed like it would take a couple of hours to draw a stud.