Subscribe or Renew Membership Subscribe Renew

LVL, Paralympic, Or Glulam, Need help! Please

BillRn's picture

Good Afternoon,

     My house is 36’ wide from exterior wall to exterior wall.  I want to remove a partial load bearing wall.  The wall has 2x8x14 ceiling rafters to one side and on the other side, it has 2x4s that make up a volume ceiling within a gabled roof.  I want to take down the wall between the kitchen and the living room.  The wall is 17’ that I want to remove. Need help in size of Laminated beam to use. To replace wall?

Thanks Bill

You need an engineer. (post #216287, reply #1 of 2)

You need an engineer.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.  --Herman Melville

there are these professionals called engineers... (post #216287, reply #2 of 2)

You've got way too many variables going on and you need someone who can identify the loads and design a proper beam and load path, connections, etc.