Search the forums
Help! A few years ago I installed a SunTouch electric heating mat under the tile in a basement bathroom. It appeared to work fine at the close of the project, but for how long I don't know. My son used the bathroom and never complained. Dear wife recently relegated me to the basement bathroom, and the floor didn't seem as warm as I expected. After shooting the trouble, I found out the red light doesn't mean it's heating, it means the GFCI built into the controller has tripped! When I reset the GFCI, it heats just fine for a few hours or a few days, then trips again.
So... among other things I tried disconnecting the leads from the mat and checked resistance. Hot to neutral about 150 Ohms as expected. Ground to hot or neutral measures about 60 KOhms, where I was looking for infinity. I disconnected the ground wire (I know I know) and tried firing up the mat again. Everything works fine, no trips. And no, I didn't get electrocuted when I stepped out of the shower!
Now what? I don't think it's right, and not likely all that safe, to leave the ground disconnected, so I can't leave it that way. Tile through bare foot to sink faucet might tickle, though not if the 60 KOhms remains constant. Even if I did the next homeowner would freak out. Any ideas short of ripping out the tile and replacing the mat? Do you think a fault detector would locate a 60K fault as opposed to an open or short? What do you think about momentarily connecting the hot to the ground wire to try to burn out the fault (and possibly watch the tile over the fault pop off the floor lol!). Any other crazy ideas?? I really really don't want to rip out the tile. Thanks in advance for any ideas!