Search the forums
Well, on 12/23, we had quite a scare. We had a receptacle start to smoke in our bedroom. Luckily my son noticed the smoke and alerted everyone. I immediately shut the breaker off while calling 911.
Electrician came today and thinks the problem was:
1) loose neutral wire combined with
2) high draw in 15 amp circuit due to blow dryer and recently purchased electric space heater (1500 watts). Heater was in bathroom.
2 bedrooms and bathroom share the same 15 amp circuit.
Stupid me. I knew all about the 80% rule on circuits but didn't think to check the wattage on the space heater.
Plan now is:
1) Wire the bathroom on its own (this was planned as part of current bathroom renovation but has moved up in priority).
2) Install arc fault breakers to cover all of the bedrooms.
QUESTION - even though code doesn't require it, is there any reason why I should NOT replace all breakers with arc fault breakers?
Cost is not a concern.
Also, any idea why the standard circuit breaker didn't trip due to the high load from the blow dryer and space heater?
Is it possible for a copper wire connection (hooked around the screw) to work its way loose over time?
Thanks and hope everyone has/had a safe and Merry Christmas. Life has once again shown me what is really important in life...a safe family.