I was wondering what everyone's opinions of these two paints are. From my experience (based on Sherwin Williams contractor grade semi gloss white vs Behr Premium semi gloss ultra pure white). Why these two you may ask? The Behr is what I normally get at Home Depot and the Sherwin Williams is what my brother in law gave me (a 5 gallon bucket from a paint contractor on his construction site.)
It may not be fair to compare the SW contractor grade with the Behr premium but it is what I had. I used both and was satisfied with both. However, they both also had some quirks about them that I didn't like.
I'd like to hear your opinions if you've had experience with both of these.
In the end, I'd like to find a paint that flows off a brush as easily as the Sherwin Williams but with the flattening and smoothness of the Behr finish.
- thicker and therefore faster "one coat" coverage on preprimed surface
- seems to be a higher sheen semi gloss finish (almost "plastic like") - dirt and stains wipe off easier with a damp cloth
- thicker paint means harder to paint with a brush. Doesn't flow off of bursh as easy however, it does flatten and dry very smooth. About as smooth as one could get with a brush (vs. spraying.)
- thicker paint means less square area covered per gallon. This probably balances out with the necessity of some paints to have a second coat.
Sherwin Williams -
- thinner paints makes for easy brushing. Flowed very nicely off the brush.
- slightly less shiny semi gloss (vs Behr) - seem to be more aesthically desireable to my eyes
- thinner paint required at least a 2nd coat (even with a Zinnser primer sealer on the wood)
- seemed to dry a slightly rough sandpaper like texture unlike Behr's very smooth plastic like finish.
Look forward to reading about your opinions.