Search the forums
We removed a builtin from our basement yesterday and discovered evidence of water near the floor - drywall and wood are both damaged, and there is some mold, but no smell. There is little staining on the floor itself, so I'm wondering if this came down the wall from above. It's under the fireplace/chimney and I'm picturing water running down between the chimney and the house. If that's the case, is it possible that we already fixed the problem when we reroofed? The debris felt dry to the touch and it is raining today with no new evidence of water. The area is sheltered from weather, and there is positive drainage away from the house. How do you tell how old the water damage is? This is a finished basement, so I don't want to wait a year and keep an eye on it before fixing the damage. And if it's still happening, I want to address it. So how do I determine if more water is infiltrating beyond just touching it with my hand?