Subscribe or Renew Membership Subscribe Renew

Water Faucet Over a Stove

GTOGuy's picture

Has anyone had experience with plumbing a water faucet over an electric stove? I saw this in an open house today. The specialty fixture extended horizontally from the wall, then swivel-jointed to pointing straight down, with sort of a mini-shower-head for the business end. I remember seeing this in a magazine a while back. Some sort of labor-saving set-up for people energetic enough to cook pasta themselves, but then too lazy to carry a pot of water from the sink to the stove. Looked a little unsafe from the leak/water pointing at 220V appliance point of view. Just curious if anyone has seen or installed this set-up.

(post #69922, reply #1 of 4)

Its called a pot filler.  Idea is taken from commercial kitchens where there may be a an 80 quart stock pot on the stove all day which two men and a boy couldn't lift, especially when hot.

As you saw in the model home, they now show up in high end kitchens of people who don't necessarily cook. 

Properly installed and used, I don't think they are a safety issue. 

We have one (over a high output gas range) and use it all the time; however we also grow much of our own food and cook & can large batches of food often.  It is very handy to top off a 30 or 40 qt stock pot as liquids reduce. 

And while we don't do that kind of cooking every day, we do it often enough to be really glad to have the fixture.



(post #69922, reply #2 of 4)

Just had the plumber install one over a gas range for a kitchen remodle that I'm doing.

Seams like I'm seeing them in a lot of high end kitchens.


(post #69922, reply #3 of 4)

Seems to me it's a stylistic fad that will go by the wayside like kitchen carpeting, avocado green appliances, and fondue pots.  Once the pot is full you still have to empty it (hot), so it does not prevent you from having to lift it anyway.  And to top off a pot, just fill a saucepan from the sink and dump it in the pot.  If you are on an outside wall, water pipes within an outside wall are more prone to freezing unless carefully installed.

To me it is a waste of money.

(post #69922, reply #4 of 4)

First time I saw these used over 25 years ago in a Chinese commercial kitchen- they were old then-  They use them to add water to the woks to cook/steam. This type faucet was a hands free-- no valve-- devise. The cook would use his spatula to turn the arm toward his wok and the passages in the body/hinge would line up and allow water to flow. The wok/ranges all have channels to transfer extra water, grease and food stuffs to a recepticle.

Most of the pasta fillers I have seen are just double arm wall mounts. Sometimes with a foot valve.

All that said just to say-- Those Chinese type are handy and cheap ~$20 I've got 2 set up at a fish cleaning table at my camp--easy no hands water supply.