Subscribe or Renew Membership Subscribe Renew

What is this tool?

GeorgeP's picture

 I know it s not a home building tool but does anyone know what this tool is?  I suspect it may have something to do with processing logs.   Someone threw it out at the dump along with a rusty though perfectly useful long handled axe.  The edge is on the inside curve.


I've seen them before, but (post #211804, reply #1 of 6)

I've seen them before, but don't know the name.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.  --Herman Melville

What is it (post #211804, reply #2 of 6)

That is an old brush axe. Used for clearing little saplings and the like.

That's a sling blade (brush (post #211804, reply #3 of 6)

That's a sling blade (brush cutter).  AKA kaiser blade, ditch bank blade, briar axe, and brush axe. Actually a search seems that brush axe is the most accurate name.

As others have said, it's a (post #211804, reply #4 of 6)

As others have said, it's a brush ax. Still a great tool for clearing brush. I'd clean it up, sharpen and put it back into use.

Florida Licensed Building Contractor, 50 years experience in commercial remodeling, new homes, home remodeling and repairs and all types building maintenance.

It could also be called a (post #211804, reply #5 of 6)

It could also be called a brush hook, they have straps like that and a very thick blade (1/4" or more).

another legit name is a (post #211804, reply #6 of 6)

another legit name is a roadside axe. They used to be commonly used to maintain right of ways. I have used one some, we called them shid hooks, it's a mean tool to use. The one in the pic is really worn.