Search the forums

Engineered flooring above a garage space

dwmorenz's picture

I've bought a 4k sq ft garage in N Mich with a one bedroom living space above. The garage ceiling is insulated and I plan to winterize the place for the winter months. Can I install an engineered floor on the upper floor successfully in this environment? There's a little bit of moisture in the garage, will that affect the stability of the flooring above? Any other considerations? Many thanks for your advice. 

dw

I've put engineered flooring of several kinds over concrete, over crawlspaces, on a subfloor of several different kinds-I don't think you'll have a problem.

Do you plan to nail, glue, nail/glue, or float the floor?

If floating, there's several quality flooring manufaturers that have a proprietary underlayment that you should be able to find that would address your below moisture concerns.  I would assume a finished ceiling below your floor frame, which should do quite a bit to keep the cool air down below, along with the moisture.  I am not talking about a laminate floor here, but they also have prop. underlayments that will work.

If you don't float, a slip sheet that also blocks moisture-in the old days we'd use felt paper.  Rosin doesn't do much but divorce the subfloor from the finished flooring.

I've used some new synthetic roofing underlayments that might possible fill the bill, but would never recommend without you doing some research.  (if the thought of felt paper perhaps offgassing turns you off).

A Great Place for Information, Comraderie, and a Sucker Punch.

Remodeling Contractor just outside the Glass City.

http://www.quittintime.com/

Whaaaaat

You have a 4000 s.f. garage below and  just a one bedroom living space above.  Is there also 4000 .s.f. above?  If so, how big is her walk-in closet?

In general, a garage is drier

In general, a garage is drier than inside a house.  The house has humans cooking, showering, breathing inside, and that's where most of the moisture comes from.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.  --Herman Melville