Search the forums

elevator in 100 year old house

cmarks's picture

I have a potential client who would like to create a home theatre in 3rd story attic space. Problem is the exsiting stairs are to step and redesigning the roofline is out of question. Has anyone put in an elevator in a older home? Is it very costly? I understand there is a lot of questions that could be asked but I was just curious about the cost compared to completly redesigning the stairs and existing bedroom. Thanks for any help. 

As the only means of access I (post #206126, reply #1 of 2)

As the only means of access I wonder if it would pass the building department? I know in some places it would since it's use would only be occational (that's what we'd say to get non-code compliant spiral stairs to upper floors of odd places.) Other places aren't as accommodating. I really like the idea - makes going up to the room more interesting. Along the same lines since it's a "seldom used area" could you use a non-code conforming stair of some kind - such as ships stairs....

Beer was created so carpenters wouldn't rule the world.

It ain't cheap.  I found this (post #206126, reply #2 of 2)

It ain't cheap.  I found this on one web site:  "a basic two stop residential elevator price is going to range from somewhere below $20,000 to in excess of $25,000."  Obviously, if you want more floors covered it will cost more.

And you'd need a clear shaft from the lowest floor where it would operate up to the top.  Apparently about 5x5 feet minimum.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.  --Herman Melville