Subscribe or Renew Membership Subscribe Renew

Small powder rooms - March 2016 #257

user-2067454's picture

In the drawingboard article on small powder rooms,Nena Donovan Leveine shows several good examples of small spaces being well used.  The one question that came to me is, are there any toilets available which are not so deep? Her drawings mention about 27" to the front of the bowl.  One of my customers has a space where they want to place a reasonably-priced toilet, but don't have much depth. Thanks, John in Maine

Look for a toilet with the (post #212447, reply #1 of 5)

Look for a toilet with the tank in the wall - special plumbing rough for both both supply and waste - I suggest having the toilet on site when framing the space since there's not a lot of room for error.  For a small space this can make a big difference

If I could edit my location it would say I'm now in Reno :-)

Greetings (post #212447, reply #2 of 5)

Take a look at corner toilets, might provide you with an option.  There are not many "styles" offered.  Couple that with a small corner wall hung or cab below sink.

A Great Place for Information, Comraderie, and a Sucker Punch.

Remodeling Contractor just outside the Glass City.

http://www.quittintime.com/

Note that one needs to know (post #212447, reply #3 of 5)

Note that one needs to know what toilet will be used before the plumbing is installed.  Toilets that differ from the norm are apt to have a different "offset" between wall and toilet outlet on the floor.  And, if what you choose is "non-standard", be 110% sure that the plumber knows it.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.  --Herman Melville

Small Powder Room - more details (post #212447, reply #4 of 5)

Thank you all for trying to help with my small toilet need. I omitted that the project is well along with the rough-in drain in a concrete slab 12"+ from the back wall, and the angle will not work with a corner unit. I just need a toilet whose front doesn't project out from the rear wall so much. Are there any wholesalers that specialize in odd size plumbing fixtures? John in Maine

Do note that there are (post #212447, reply #5 of 5)

Do note that there are special offset flanges that will provide up to 2" offset from the roughed-in position (though they do increase somewhat the danger of clogging problems down the road).

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.  --Herman Melville