Search the forums

25 Most Important Homes in America

KenA's picture

I'm new to the forum, but have been a reader for years. I just read the 25 Most Important Homes article in issue #179 and thought the traditional 'Four Square' should have been mentioned. It has been modified, and adapted to many cities and towns across the country, and stands as a solid, though unspectacular, tribute to the American fabric.
Also, I thought the proverbial 'Half Double' home should have been mentioned. Most people in early America couldn't afford a single home, let alone a 'McMansion' and every city and most towns across our great country have neighborhoods made up of these modest, yet affordable homes. Homes which many people use as starter homes today.
The architecture in both the Four Square and Half Double also shows the many styles and tastes of our local cities and towns. How these basic box homes where taken and modified to fit the area, and homebuilders style.
Just thought they deserved to be mentioned.

(post #116576, reply #1 of 1)

Yes, there was a box asking for important houses they might have missed. I think the most important was missed- particularly in an energy crisis. That is the Enertia “most innovative house of the twentieth century” a house that makes its own climate: http://www.enertia.com/awpicont.htm

The concept of using the wood of which the house is built to store solar energy is an incredible breakthrough, and the houses are beautiful, not weird like the 1970’s solar homes. And this “new” form of architecture could free us from the addiction to oil: www.EnergyWithoutOil.org

And why hasn’t Fine Homebuilding done a story on this technology which could revolutionize house building?

CalimityJane

PreviewAttachmentSize
ArcadiaSthWst.jpg
ArcadiaSthWst.jpg28.88 KB
scomft1.jpg
scomft1.jpg33.15 KB